"Give Thanks To Jehovah, For He is Good"
Psalm 106:1
2015 year text

Thursday, August 20, 2009

I Should Have Been an Architect- TENTS!

What's summer without a tent?


I think ,this was one of the first tents I ever experienced.
Mine was actually, a sheet on the clothes line,
staked to the ground.
I had a cool, Mom!

I remember camping in a tent similar to this.
Grandpa and Grandma Cris would take us on trips in their station wagon!
What fun, to set up the tent.
First, down went the drop cloth, then up went the poles,
the canvas would come next,
just when we thought we were done Grandpa would get out his little shovel ...
and dig trenches all around the tent to guide any rain away from the floor.
It's a good thing too, because sometimes we would get rain,
but we were nice and cozy inside
-as long as we did not touch the sides of the tent.
(If we did, the wet would seep through)

But look at these new tent designs:


These tear-shaped tree tents can be found in Holland.
They are about 9' in diameter. You can rent one if you like.

This tent just folds back up onto the top of your vehicle,
where all the sleeping bags, blankets, pillows, etc. are stored.
Very convenient!



And of course! One of the originals and a favorite of mine. A Teepee!
Uncle Garland built one for us girls when we lived on Spencer Street in Gary.
I had the best time in it!

Stay tuned - more tents to come!

5 comments:

sandyseashells said...

I like those and the great memories you share with it.

Pedaling said...

i like tents, just don't like camping.
i really like the one that cozies up to the car.

Krista said...

i love camping in tents! i keep telling ryan we should slowly get the gear for a fun cheap family getaway.

Jen said...

I'm with Sheila on camping. I will only camp if we don't have to have a stinky campfire. I know, makes no sense.

Gram said...

I did love to camp with my parents and am thankful that 3 of my daughters were able to remember tent campimg experiences with them too. I did not remember the TeePee that Uncle Garland made for you, but that is something he would enjoy doing. I remember building a teepee when I spent a couple of weeks visiting my country cousins (Georgie and Dewey) Their little house had woods behind and beside it. On top of the wooded hill beside the house we built a teepee and, of course, made a rock fire ring and cut some wild vines to swing on. Great memories. I am glad that you have wonderful tenting memories too.